Authorities have reported that at least 37 people have been killed and 60 injured in an attack on a mining company in Burkina Faso.
Five buses carrying staff of Canadian firm Semafo were attacked on Wednesday by gunmen and their military escort vehicle struck by an explosive device. This is said to be the third deadliest attack on Semafo staff in 15 months.
After experiencing attack near two of its mines last year, Semafo beefed up their security but they were still attacked.
The latest attack happened on a road between Fada and its mine in Boungou.
The company said its operations had not been affected and offered condolences to the families of the victims, none of whom have been named.
Jihadist attacks have increased in Burkina Faso since 2015. The conflict spread across the border from neighbouring country Mali, where Islamist militants took over the north of the country in 2012 before French troops pushed them out.
About 500,000 people in Burkina Faso have been forced to flee their homes over the past three months. Last month, 20 people were killed in an attack on a gold-mining site in the north.
(Source – BBC News)