Fighters from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), a Boko Haram splinter group, have abducted an aid worker and two other local officials.
The incident took place in the troubled Borno State, the scene of the majority of the jihadist offensive.
1st News reports that ISWAP, which claims allegiance to the dreaded ISIS, split from Boko Haram in 2016. Since then, the group has also embarked on a campaign of terror and gruesome violence in the North East.
Specifically, sources told AFP that the victims were kidnapped at a checkpoint mounted by the terrorists in the village of Wakilti in Borno state on Monday
“The hostages included two local officials and an aid worker. But it is not clear which organization he works for,” a security source said.
Reports indicate that the two officials were returning to Maiduguri, the Borno state capital from the town of Mobbar; where they had gone for local elections held on the weekend, a second source said. The local elections in Borno state were the first held since Boko Haram launched its insurgency in 2009.
The abduction of the aid worker continues a trend of attack on humanitarian workers by the jihadists. AFP reports that in June, five humanitarian workers were killed a few days after being abducted by ISWAP; whose stronghold is on the edge of Lake Chad.
Just last weekend, the dreaded sect carried out arguably its worst attack in recent times; with the brutal beheading of scores of rice farmers in the village of Zabarmari in Borno State. Casualty figures are still disputed, with Boko Haram recently claiming that 76 were killed in the attack.
Boko Haram has waged over a decade-long insurgency against the Nigerian government. The conflict has led to the death of over 36,000 people, with millions more displaced in the North East.