A fresh wave of violence in two districts of Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province has displaced more than 56,000 people, the UN said on Thursday.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a report that 56,329 people have been displaced in the districts of Khogyani and Sherzad as of April 30.
The Nangarhar governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told dpa that the displacements were due to fighting that began about eight days ago between Taliban insurgents and the Islamic State terrorist group.
He said Afghan forces have pushed both groups back and airstrikes were also carried out in both districts to assist ground forces. Khogyani added that the fighting has died down at the moment.
The OCHA said that fighting started on April 22.
Taliban and Islamic State fighters have clashed in the province on several occasions over territorial control, leaving scores of dead on both sides.
But civilians have borne the brunt of the brutal ongoing conflict in Afghanistan. According to the OCHA, almost 80,000 people have been displaced from January 1 to April 22 this year.
The overall number of displaced people in Afghanistan last year is reported to be over 380,000.